At the end of 2016, Carrefour launched their own meal box called Simply You Box.
Offering a similar concept to Smartmat & HelloFresh – a cardboard box filled with 3 different recipe cards plus the fresh ingredients to make these recipes. Each week, the Simply You Box offers 9 different recipes from which you can pick/choose which 3 meals you would like to cook. Just like the other recipe/fresh food boxes offered by competitors, they too promise that meals can be ready within 30minutes and are easy to follow.
What you need to know:
- Choose 3 recipes out of the 9 menus that offered
- 3 vegetarian, 3 traditional & 3 family friendly
- Menu’s change weekly
- View 4 weeks worth of menu’s online
- Number of people to feed: Currently options are only 2 people or 4 people?
- 40€ for 2people = 6.67€ per meal per person
- 60€ for 4 people = 5.00€ per meal per person
- Collect on a Monday from your nearest Carrefour Drive pick-up point (available all over Belgium). They are investigating delivery options for the future!
- Payment via debit/credit card online
- Order by midnight on Monday to collect the following Monday
I got the opportunity to test out one of the boxes (2people) and can say that the whole process was very EASY – especially the collection at the Carrefour Drive pick up point in Auderghem where Carrefour staff were super helpful and took at total of 5minutes!
As you can see from the box above – the quantities were GENEROUS for 2people! (A whole packet of linguine for 2people for one recipe! Obviously, splitting their pre-existing packaging for this concept doesn’t make sense – but it means that not only is the concept pretty cost effective at 6,67€ per person per meal but that you might be adding to your store cupboard as well!)
Coming back to value for money => how does this stack against the competition?? Pretty well considering that HelloFresh is 34€ for 2 people for 3 meals = 5.67€ per person/per meal and Smartmat Original Box is 59€ for 2 people for 3meals = 9.83€ per person/per meal. So Simply You Box is only just more expensive than HelloFresh but definitely cheaper than Smartmat Original box.
- Easy to follow simple recipes (each card is printed recto-verso, so Dutch on one side and French on the other side – but even with that – the recipes were so easy, that you didn’t really need to pore over each line of instruction)
- Fresh ingredients were exactly that… FRESH
- Excellent quality/price ratio;
- Pretty balanced nutrition (IMHO… that I could see – although I am not a nutritionist, I am sure that they are consulting with one and having carbs/protein/vegetables etc in each menu seems pretty level headed to me)
- Negative: finding something negative to say was really difficult as this is a great concept that is executed professionally!
- Having to collect box on a Monday (looking forward to delivery options becoming available);
- Website & recipes only available in Dutch/French
PROMOCODE: Use unique code WHIMNTSYB before 31/05/2017 and you will get a discount of 10€ when you purchase a Simply You Box of min 40€