I recently decided to eat less carbs at night… Now, don’t you worry… I am not going paleo on anyone… but rather eating my carbs in the morning for breakfast & at mid-day for lunch. This has meant some mindset changes – especially as I have had a tendency to have salads for lunch (because I am at work) and big hearty dinners (when I am at home).
Last week – I knew that I was going to make a pot of bolognese sauce… but instead of teaming it with conventional noodles or spaghetti – I decided to read up a bit about zoodles (zucchini noodles) or courgetti (courgette spaghetti).. which is when you make a “faux” noodle out of courgettes. I especially enjoyed reading Elana’s Pantry recipe and pretty much followed her cues for a bowl of warm courgette zoodles.
Essentially – using a spiralizer made the job super quick and easy.
Make again? Yes… in fact, I did it again the following evening too!
Courgetti Bolognese (feeds 4)
3-4 large courgettes (1 per person)
400g mince (pork/beef mix)
180g tomato paste
1 teaspoon sugar
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 grated carrots
- To make the bolognese sauce, I heat up some olive oil in a large saucepan and then add meat
- Once browned, I mix in the passatta, tomato paste, sugar, carrots, garlic and seasonings
- Reduce heat and leave to simmer for 20-30minutes
- For the courgetti, spiralize the courgette.
- Salt it and leave to sit for 20minutes
- Rinse & drain the courgetti, and pat dry with paper towels
- In a frying pan, heat a dash of olive oil and then ‘fry’ the courgetti for approx. 5minutes
As simple as that