I love entertaining… and my father always says that if you can feed 4 people, you can feed 14 people. It really isn’t that difficult to increase the quantities of food and still keep the flavour and of course – there are some things that perfectly translate to feed 10-12 people… i.e. a quiche sliced into 12 for a starter!
So when I saw this recipe in the BBC Good Food Magazine (June 2009 Issue) – it looked so tantalising and yummy…. that I knew that it was going to be a winner!
I do, however, have to make a confession…. The recipe calls for a pack of shortcrust pastry which is blind baked before adding the quiche filling. I had a brainwave of making individual quiche tarts for everyone and cut the pastry into circles, placed into a muffin tray and popped into the oven… THIS is when I realised that I had bought PUFF pastry and not shortcrust… so now I had little pastry puffs instead of shell cases…. GMPFff…
So this recipe became a *CRUSTLESS* quiche due to time constraints – but you know what??? IT still works BEAUTIFULLY!!
(P.S. courgettes = baby marrows = zucchinni :))
Courgette & Goats Cheese Tart
1 fat pinch of saffron threads
500g courgette, all but one coarsely grated
knob of butte
284ml pot whipping cream
140g soft goats cheese (I used hard goats cheese)
- Place saffron in a cup with 1 Tablespoon of hot water, then leave to infuse
- Mix grated courgettes with a teaspoon of salt and place in a colander
- Slice the last courgette very thinly lengthways into long ribbons (use a vegetable peeler)
- Sprinkle with salt and place on top of grated courgettes
- Place colander over a bowl and leave to drain for at least 30minutes
- Tip into the middle of a clean tea towel over the sink, twist and squeeze the tea towel getting every last drop of green liquid out.
- melt the butter in a frying pan
- keep courgette ribbons to one side – add the grated courgette to the pan
- Cook, stirring, for 3minutes
- Tip the cooked courgettes into a bowl
- Lightly beat eggs and add to courgettes
- Pour in the cream
- Pour in the saffron and soaking water and mix well
- Season generously with pepper and salt (if needed)
- Pour into an oven-proof dish, top with the courgette ribbons and goats cheese
- Bake for 40minutes at 180C until just set
- Cool and serve at room temperature