Who you calling a tart?? eh??
Just kidding 🙂
In South Africa, a savoury tart would essentially be the description of a crustless Quiche… normally a ham and mushroom version – but anything from the veggie left over containers are welcome!
As one of the Canadian guests is a veggie (aka vegetarian) – I decided to make the savoury tart without any meat…. but if you are a carnivore/omnivore and crave the bacon and ham… feel free to add them!
This recipe comes out of theSnowflake Book of Baking, which was a gift from my mom for Easter in 2001… and has given me hours and hours of joy! The book is intended for Everyday use and includes simple and economical recipes that will appeal to both the experienced and novice cooks alike. It is beautifully illustrated throughout with full-colour photographs and includes a mouth-watering selection of recipes for snacks, light meals, pastries, tarts, cakes and muffins – as well as breads, biscuits, rusks, desserts and some traditional South African favourites! (Snowflake = South African brand of flours)
Cheese, Corn and Mushroom Savoury Tart (crustless Quiche)
250g button mushrooms, sliced
1 onion, diced
30ml chopped fresh herbs OR 10ml mixed dried herbs
500ml grated cheddar cheese
Half a tin of sweetcorn
50ml self-raising flour
- Fry onion in a little bit of butter, and add mushrooms (saute lightly)
- Add herbs and some black pepper and the sweetcorn
- Layer on the bottom of a greased ovenproof dish (I used 4 small dishes)
- Sprinkle with grated cheese
- Beat eggs, milk and flour together and pour over ingredients in dish
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180C for 30minutes or until set and golden brown