I love the concept that the world is changing…
There is a HUGE encouragement for children to get into the kitchen, plus cook and eat healthier… and best part? THEY WANT TO! Children are eager and excited to get their little mitts covered in flour and become involved in feeding the family!
TV shows have also contributed to these trends – from “Masterchef” to the “Great British Bake Off” to the hundreds of individual chef shows that are filling our screens. This feeds my *foodie* habit… but it also encourages the youth to learn life skills instead of wanting to be wingman to a super hero! So I was super surprised (in a good way) when I saw an article in the May 2012 issue of BBC Good Food magazine that was a recipe from a children’s tv show called CBeebies *i can cook* and was tested by a 10year old.
I figure if she can make it, so can I!! (And so can you!)
200g self-raising flour
50g butter (softened)
1 tsp paprika
50g grated cheese
- Rub butter and flour in a bowl
- Stir in paprika and a pinch of salt
- Add milk and mix with a fork until you get a soft dough
- Roll out onto a floured surface – to 0,5cm thick
- Sprinkle cheese on top and roll up like a sausage
- Cut into 12 thick rings using a table knife
- Bake on a lined baking tray for 20-25min at 220C