Beer, glorious beer…. the most consumed alcoholic beverage in the world and within the top 5 of popular drinks overall (with contenders like water and tea… go figure)
So when I was lucky enough to receive a bottle of Kasteel Rouge (Castle Brewery Van Honsebrouck) from the guys at Beer Tourism – I jumped at the chance to find a recipe that it would work with.
Kasteel Rouge was launched in 2008 as the fruity sibling to the rest of the Kasteel family – essentially mixing the Kasteel Donker with a cherry liquor – it means that this beer has a wonderful dark colour and an exceptionally fruity and moreish flavour!
From a brewery in Belgium with history dating back to 1811 – these people really know what they are doing when it comes to brewing beer!! And the guys at Beer tourism know beer as well, with a website offering everything you ever needed to know about Beer, Food & Belgium. From the beer dictionary to the Belgian Beer directory … to travel and food… from recipes to breweries.. they have it all!
I had to up my game if I was going to create a recipe with this beer in mind…..so when I found a recipe on the *googlebox* from the website called the Beerista, I got super excited… and of course – as per normal - I tweaked it a bit
A banana, chocolate and beer inspired muffin mix!! The banana’s make the mixture super moist and tasty – while the beer acts as a rising agent and allows the mixture to be really light (not to mention adds the most amazing flavour due to the cherry-ness)… and chocolate… well, everyone loves chocolate!
Banana Chocolate & Beer Muffins
3 ripe bananas – mashed
3 cups flour
1/2 cup of cocoa
1/2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
1/4 teaspoon salt
100g butter, softened
2 cups sugar
3 large eggs
1 teaspoons vanilla essence
1/2 cup milk
1 cup of Kasteel Rouge
- Sift flour, bicarbonate of soda, salt and cocoa into a bowl
- Mix together the softened butter and sugar
- Add in eggs one at a time, mixing between each addition
- Add in vanilla essence and mix until mixture if smooth
- Add half of the sifted dry mixture and mix well
- Add the beer and once again… mix until well combined
- Add the rest of the dry mixture and mix well
- Add the milk and mix well
- and finally – add the mashed banana and (again) mix well
- Place into greased muffin cases (I just used grease proof paper as I have managed to misplace the paper cups that I normally use… *blame it on the move*)
- Bake for 20minutes at 180C
- Makes 18 muffins