It is Secret Recipe Club Reveal time again…
And this month – I got allocated The Saturday Evening Pot – a blog about Faith, Family & Food! Chef John, his (lucky) wife, Anne & their 2 children share a passion for food – which can easily be seen through their recipes, reviews and updates!
I found the following recipe and just KNEW that it was something that I would not only enjoy making, but also eating! (Particularly because I love lemon/lime flavours in sweet treats!)
I adjusted the recipe somewhat – but mixing lemon & lime zest/juice, and unlike Chef John – I used normal flour, not gluten-free as well as full fat Irish Butter instead of soy-free/dairy-free version that he did. Basically – I made the full fat version – while his is definitely the “healthier” option 🙂
Lemon & Lime Squares
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 cup caster sugar
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1.5 tablespoons grated lime/lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda/bicarbonate of soda
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime/lemon juice
- (for sprinkling) confectioner’s sugar
- For the base, mix flour & sugar and then add butter and mix until dough comes together
- Press the dough gently and evenly over the bottom of the greased baking dish
- Bake base on center oven rack until lightly golden, about 15 minutes at 180C
- Cool base
- Meanwhile, Gently whisk eggs & add the remaining topping ingredients and continue to whisk gently until they are blended.
- Pour the topping evenly over cooled base.
- Bake until top is set and golden, about 20 to 25 minutes at 180C.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Sprinkle surface with confectioner’s sugar (a light dusting) and cut into squares with a sharp knife, that is dipped in hot water and wiped dry before each cut.
- If you plan to keep longer than one day, keep in air tight container and refrigerate or freeze to preserve crispness of base.
- Makes 9 to 12 bars.