I love my chocolate brownie recipe but in all fairness – it isn’t actually a brownie but more of a moist chocolate cake version….so I was in search of a TRUE brownie.
I have had Alida Ryder’s Simply Delicious cook for ages (probably since she launched it), but this was the first time that I actually made her Chocolate brownies with coconut. She claims that they are the best brownies ever… and you know what? They might just actually be!
I didn’t feel the need to make the chocolate sauce for the top as these were already so rich with half a kilogram of sugar, otherwise I kept the recipe pretty much “as is” and it was easy to make and delicious to eat (in fact, my colleagues are STILL talking about it!)
COCONUT CHOCOLATE BROWNIES (makes 12-16)
100g cocoa powder
4 large eggs
50g desiccated coconut
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla
100g walnuts, roughly chopped
- In a large pot, combine the butter cocoa powder and sugar and allow to melt over a medium heat
- Remove from heat, allowing to cool slightly before beating in the eggs, one at a time (Alida suggests using a hand mixer… so I did)
- Mix in the flour, desiccated coconut, baking powder, vanilla and finally the nuts
- Pour batter into a greased baking dish (batter should be 2-4cm from the bottom of the dish)
- Bake for 20-30minutes at 180C coming out of the oven firm but still squidgy (I found that mine took almost 40minutes and still remained moist and squidgy in the middle)