As soon as I saw Rhubarb available on Cirkle – I couldn’t wait to add it to my basket! (If you don’t know about Cirkle – they are a bio fruit & veg delivery service in Brussels – read about my review here). Why? Because I love rhubarb… I love the tartness of it… (probably the same reason why I love Lemon Meringue pie so much…)
I have made a few rhubarb recipes before … but I had yet posted a rhubarb & apple crumble recipe – so I headed over to google box to find something that I wanted to recreate… and found this one on the Taste Australia website.
I omitted the rolled oats and it still turned out great… I also swapped out the ground ginger for cinnamon!
Would I make it again? Absolutely YES
Rhubarb & Apple Crumble
5-6 stalks of rhubarb, cut into 2cm chunks
3 apples, peeled & diced into 2cm chunks
1/4 cup caster sugar
dash of lemon juice
1 Tablespoon water
1/3 cup self-raising flour
1/4 cup flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
100g butter, chilled & diced
1/2 cup brown sugar
- place rhubarb, apples, caster sugar, lemon juice & water into an ovenproof dish and bake at 180C for 20minutes (I did this in the morning)
- Sift the flours & cinnamon
- Using your fingers, rub the butter into the sifted flour to make a crumble and then rub through the sugar
- Place the crumble on to of the cooked fruit and bake for a further 20minutes
- Serve with custard, ice-cream or as it is!