While dad was visiting us in Belgium (all the way from sunny South Africa)… he mentioned poached pears… which got me thinking that I had never made this simple but delicious dessert before… so I decided it was high time that I did!
I used the BBC Good Food Website to find a poached pears recipe – and adapted it slightly by adding in some orange juice (for a bit of extra sweetness :))
Would I make it again – definitely… served with a good scoop of vanilla ice-cream – a yummy dessert!
1 bottle of red wine
2 cinnamon sticks
1 vanilla pod (or because I didn’t have one, I just put in a good glug of vanilla essence)
300ml orange juice
- Peel the pears, slice off the bottom so that they all sit flat and leave the stalk on
- Gently lower into the liquid in the pot and make sure that they are fully covered by liquid (if not, add more red wine or orange juice)
- Poach on a medium heat for 40-60min until the pears are soft (cooked through) but not yet mushy!
- Remove from the pot and continue to simmer the liquid to make a syrup (reduced by half)
- Serve with a good dollop of ice-cream and some of the syrup!