As already mentioned… our lives have changed recently with a new arrival in the family (a gorgeous baby girl… and even though we know that we are biased about her beauty… our friends & family seem to agree with us :))
But this is also means that I am on maternity leave… and learning to live with a whole new schedule… which includes being awake around 4am…
Now most of you would be encouraging me to go back to sleep… but for some bizarre reason, I can go to sleep at the same time as her at 9pm.. and back to sleep instantly after the midnight feed… but after the 3am feed, I am normally WIDE-AWAKE… so I thought I may as well make the most of this time … right??
This does not mean that I am baking or cooking at this hour… but it does mean that I can get some writing time… and I can also go through my “must make” recipe pile!
I found this recipe in the BBC Good Food Magazine (July 2013 issue) – although they called theirs “melting middles aubergine parcels” with focus on BBQ cooking & eating. The only difference to my interpretation is that after constructing the parcels – I didn’t put them back on a grill to melt the mozzarella – mostly because HIM looked at me strangely and said “But Caprese salad is eaten cold??”. (FYI – Caprese salad = mozzarella, tomato, basil and olive oil salad). And of course – I used ready-made pesto as opposed to making my own (why? Because I have a 2week old baby to look after … so short cuts are my favourite thing in the kitchen at the moment :))
This is a yummy tapas, starter, vegetarian or main meal kind of dish and would definitely be made again in our house!
Aubergine Caprese Salad
2 aubergine, sliced long ways
2 tomatoes, sliced
2 mozzarella balls, drained & sliced
- Brush slices of aubergine with olive oil and either grill or fry them (I fried mine)
- spread a small amount of pesto onto each cooked slice of aubergine, add a slice of tomato & a slice of mozzarella and then using a toothpick – wrap the aubergine slice around & secure
- You can either add the basil to the wraps or on the plate
- Season with salt/pepper to taste and a good drizzle of olive oil is an added extra!
- Serve either warm or at room temperature with extra pesto
One thought on “Aubergine Caprese Salad”
Reblogged this on Theo Herbots Gezonde Recepten and commented:
Zeer prachtige Blog