Is anyone else as addicted to GBBO as I am???
For those who aren’t aware – GBBO stands for “Great British Bake Off” which is a reality show on BBC whereby home bakers get together each week to bake … and get judged on their bakes! The Judges are famous (Mary Berry & Paul Hollywood) and the 2 presenters are full of fun (Mel Perkins & Sue Giedroyc)… and of course… each week, one baker gets sent home!
Last weeks theme was *BISCUITS* so I thought that it was only applicable that my weekend baking featured exactly that…. Biscuits! I had this recipe in my “got to bake” pile (Olive Magazine, October 2013 issue) – and adapted it by swapping out the Jasmine tea for Rooibos Tea… and only using milk chocolate (not a combination of dark/milk) – otherwise, everything else was the same.
I used a food processor to whiz all the ingredients up – and a biscuit maker to press out the shapes… so all in all – this was a quick recipe. The time to sandwich each biscuit together, followed by dipping in chocolate and waiting for that to dry took about the same time… but 1hr later.. there was a biscuit tin full!
Would I make them again? Yes – HIM declared them delicious (and proceeded to eat 5 in a row on Sunday afternoon)… the custard biscuit really does just melt in your mouth, the rooibos tea filling however wasn’t “strong” enough in flavour… really subtle and the chocolate dipped portion made me think of my granny’s biscuits. But delicious they definitely were!
Chocolate dipped, Rooibos tea sandwiched biscuits
250g butter (softened)
50g icing sugar
250g plain flour
50g custard powder
rooibos tea bag
200g icing sugar
100g milk chocolate (melted)
- Whiz butter, icing sugar, flour & custard powder together in a food processor to create a soft dough
- Pipe into small rounds or using a biscuit maker like I did, create your shapes
- Place onto a greased baking tray
- Bake for 10-15min at 190c (I did 3 trays – which had 20 biscuits per tray)
- To make the filling – put tea bag into a saucer & add 2 tablespoons of boiling water & leave to steep for 10minutes
- Cream together 2nd batch of butter with icing sugar and add the tea liquid
- Sandwich biscuits together using icing (when biscuits are cooled) and then dip into chocolate and leave to set