That is right – it is Secret Recipe Club time again!
What is SRC, you ask? Well – a group of foodbloggers who get allocated anothers blog each month with the soul purpose of trying out one of their recipes, photographing it & blogging about it – with publishing all happening at the same time! The best part is that you don’t know who got your blog until the reveal!! (the bloggers version of secret santa!)
This month – I got Renee’s Kitchen Adventures:
A stay at home mom with 3 children, happily married for 20years (wow) – who was previously a nurse in the labour wards and now shares some delicious (and healthy) recipes that are sure to have you drooling and wishing you lived in Ohio so that you could be friends with her!
While I dreamily read through her blog, ooh-ing & aah-ing over her photos and recipes – I found myself torn between 2 specific recipes – a lemon loaf cake (because I really do adore lemon flavoured bakes) and her red velvet cookie bars. The latter won because I couldn’t stop looking at how gorgeous they looked (or stop thinking about how scrumptious they probably tasted).
The texture is something between cookie dough and squidgy chocolate brownies… so more-ish! And although I loved the cream cheese icing, HIM preferred the cookie bars without… and we both agreed that it was super sweet – so a little piece goes a long way (meaning that there is more to share and the treats last longer!)
Would I make it again? Yes… this is to be a sure fire winner for parties!!!
Red Velvet Cookie Bars
3 cups of flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup butter (softened)
1 & 1/2 cups sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract (I used NOMU)
1 Tablespoon red food colouring
1/4 cup butter (softened)
170g cream cheese (softened)
pinch of salt
2 cups of icing sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
candies to decorate (Renee’s used valentine M&M’s… but I used hundreds & thousands and a few raspberries)
- Combine dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, salt & cocoa powder
- Cream sugar & butter together until light & fluffy (best to use an electric beater)
- Add eggs, red food colouring & vanilla extract – mix until combined
- Slowly add dry ingredients with mixer on the lowest speed – until all flour mixture is combined with butter mixture (should form a nice dough)
- Press dough evenly into a greased & parchment lined baking pan
- Bake for 15-20min at 180C
- Cool in pan
- to make the frosting/icing – combine butter & cream cheese until fluffy with electric beater – add icing sugar & vanilla extract –
- Beat until spreading consistency
- Frost/ice the cookies in the pan, decorate & cut into squares