When I first starting reading all the Brussels blogs for Brussels Food Friends – I instantly started to associate certain bloggers with their blog posts….
So for the longest time – I always thought of Coconut Macaroons when I thought of Sarah’s Little Kitchen… she had made them a few months ago, I had shown the picture and recipe to HIM…and he had confessed to loving these coconut treats… so I promised to make them… I just lost time in actually getting around to making it!
This past weekend – I finally got a little burst of energy (something that has been sorely lacking over the last 2 months – but that is a whole other story!)… and I decided to make up a batch.
There are 2 things that I did incorrectly… I didn’t add enough desiccated coconut… and I decided to use mini muffin trays instead of a grease-proof paper on a baking tray… this lead to one problem… the bottoms remains in the tray… which meant that I spent the better part of the afternoon eating the bottoms directly out of the muffin tray ….
BUT I can tell you that these are DELICIOUS and an absolute make-again kind of recipe!
5 egg whites
225 g sugar
275 g dried desiccated coconut
1 teaspoon of orange blossom essence
- Place egg whites & sugar into a saucepan
- Place saucepan on the stovetop over a low heat, whisking until sugar is melted and the mixture is white & foamy
- Remove from heat and add the coconut and orange blossom essence & combine well
- Place dollops onto a greased baking tray
- Bake at 180C for 15-20min until brown on top (and still soft in the centre)