Last week – I had a fit of nostalgia…. and was craving biscuits that my granny used to make… chocolate coconut biscuits (aka just like Romany Creams), cherry biscuits and of course – her apricot jam squares… but I didn’t have the actual recipe….
After a discussion with Mommabear – she used the google-web to source me a similar type recipe and reminded me – “either use desiccated coconut OR grate the rest of the dough on top!”
Wise words from a wise woman!
My problem was that it was 9pm on a thursday night… and although I had the “craving” – my effort input levels were not that high … which is why an easy biscuit recipe was still do-able!
I adapted the recipe by using 3/4 of the dough for the base (instead of half) and then mixing in a cup of desiccated coconut into the other 1/4 dough to make the topping. The dough however was quite wet – so grating was not an option and I finally resorted to rolling out pieces to place on top of the jam layer! (lazy – I know – especially when I could have just added more flour…)
as nice as these were (and HIM really enjoyed them because they were so sweet due to the jam – and kept refering to it as “cake” :)) – I would probably continue the search for a recipe that reflected what my granny used to make!
Apricot Jam Biscuits
2 cups of flour
2 tablespoons sugar
125g butter (softened)
8ml baking powder
1 cup desiccated coconut
- Sift baking powder & flour together
- rub softened butter into mixture to make crumbs
- beat egg & water together & then add to dough mixture
- Mix until it forms a tight dough
- Use 3/4 of it – roll out to make the base of your biscuits
- Spread half a jar of jam across the top
- Mix the rest of the dough with the coconut & crumbly/roll out and place on top of the jam layer
- Bake at 180C for 20-30min