Today’s recipe is actually so delicious – that I actually start drooling as I type about it….
It was also a recipe “created” or “adapted” from multiple sources and no reference link can be given… because I combined so many idea’s (and what was actually available)… that I can’t really give any ONE blog or website credit.
I knew that there was a beautiful purple jewel of vegetable waiting at home for me (aka – “the aubergine”)… and I also knew that there was an unopened tub of feta , one lonely courgette and a plastic container of tomato pasta sauce in the fridge. All of these became the makings of one of my favourite dishes (of all time).
One thing that I have to admit – although the recipe is quite easy, it is not what I would call a “quick” mid-week dinner… it is something that you make to impress and if you are going to do it… make enough of it… use at least 3 aubergines (instead of the courgette) and remember to give yourself enough time!
Feta Stuffed Aubergines/Courgettes
200g Feta (sliced into finger sections & halved)
2 garlic cloves
half a chilli
1 teaspoon sugar
- to make the sauce
- Fry crushed garlic cloves in a good glug of olive oil in a frying pan
- Add the passatta, diced chilli & sugar and simmer away for 15-20min at low heat (stirring occasionally)
- Add the stock about half way through – and any additional seasoning (salt/pepper) to taste
- Place sauce into an oven proof dish
- to make the rest
- Slice the aubergine & courgette into long strips
- Place the aubergine onto kitchen paper towel, salt and leave to sit for 10-15minutes (allows the nasty tasty juices to ooze out) – then turn them over and repeat the process
- Shallow fry aubergines & courgettes (I like using the griddle pan so that they get those beautiful dark lines across tem)
- Place one piece of feta in each sliced cooked vegetable (aubergine or courgette) and roll up
- Place into oven proof dish with tomato sauce
- Repeat until all the veggie slices are used up
- Spoon some of the tomato sauce on top of each roll & use up rest of the feta over the top
- Bake at 200C for 20min