One of the very first blog posts that I ever wrote … was about my experience of meal at the Clos Malverne Winefarm… a 4course tasting menu with matching wines for R178 – *BARGAIN*
But that was in February 2012… and times have changed….
Now the 4 course tasting menu with matching wines is R248 per person… and still an absolute BARGAIN!!
Plus the view is still as gorgeous as it was before
Options for Course 1 were as follows:
- Line Fish Ceviche (with coconut, lime, chilli, coriander and mango)
- Salmon & prawn fish cakes (with a wasabi mayonnaise & plum tomato chutney) – I ordered this and could have eaten another 20 of them – they were THAT good
- Butternut & goats cheese phyllo parcel (with sage butter and homemade hot sweet chilli sauce) – HIM ordered this and said that he couldn’t taste the goats cheese😦
Options for Course 2 were as follows:
- Bocconcini & marinated forest mushroom salad (with oven roasted tomatoes, baby leaves & a hint of truffle)
- Harissa marinated chicken (on a bulgur wheat salad served with tzatziki) – HIM ordered this
- Deboned lamb shoulder (with beetroot chutney & a rosemary jus) – I had this and I can honestly say that it was probably the best cooked lamb that I have ever eaten!
Options for Course 3 were as follows:
- Line fish of the day (served with seasonal vegetables, garlic baby potatoes, prawn oil & mussel cream)
- Grilled Fillet Steak (extra charge of R18 and served with seasonal vegetables, a red wine jus, parsnip puree and a shitake mushroom, spring onion and pecorino cheese ‘pap’ croquette)
- Grilled Springbok loin (extra charge of R18 and served with seasonal vegetables, a red wine jus, parsnip puree and a shitake mushroom, spring onion and pecorino cheese ‘pap’ croquette)
- Grilled rump steak (served with seasonal vegetables, a red wine jus, parsnip puree and a shitake mushroom, spring onion and pecorino cheese ‘pap’ croquette)
- Spicy chicken & chorizo casserole (werved with a smoked paprika tomato compote, with savoury rice and coriander creme fraiche) – we both ordered this and almost licked the bowl with enjoyment
Options for the last Course 4:
- Coffee chocolate mousse (with gooseberry syrup & brand snap biscuit) – HIM ordered this and I managed to steal a spoonful which was heavenly!
- Vanilla pod crème caramel (with seasonal berry & mint salad & amarula whipped cream)
- Basil panna cotta (with sweet tomato chutney, basil sugar and almond praline) – I ordered this one and unfortunately did not enjoy it at all – there was absolutely no sweetness to the panna cotta at all and all I could taste was the tomato chutney😦
In terms of re-visiting – that is a DEFINITE! The staff are clued up and well trained. The wine and food is excellent. And in terms of value for money… this is IT!
address: Devon Valley Road, Stellenbosch, SOUTH AFRICA
telephone: +27 21 865 2022
Opening hours: Tuesday to Sunday: 12h00-15h00 (closed for dinner)