Sometimes – just sometimes – I want a quick but filling meal … without meat.
I have never conformed or participated in the meat-free monday concept – but that doesn’t mean that I am not a fan – it is just that in reality – I don’t eat a lot of meat and when I do – I don’t always take into account the day of the week!
having said that – I have found myself to be a fan of vegetarian cooking recently (don’t worry – I wont be giving up my love of sushi, steaks and burgers just yet!)
So when I spotted this recipe in the BBC Good Food Magazine (March 2009 issue) I knew that it was a recipe to be saved for a rainy day (and in Brussels – we get a fair number of rainy days… :))
this is not a particular attractive looking dish – but what it misses in beauty – it makes up for in taste, filling-ness and all around healthy eating patterns!
Mushroom Savoury Rice
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
blob of butter
250g mushrooms (I used button mushrooms)
200ml passatta (they suggested using a tin of chopped tomatoes – but I much prefer my passatta mix)
- rinse rice and leave to drain
- Heat oil in a casserole dish on top of the stove top
- add the onion and fry until softened
- Stir in the mushrooms with a blob of butter and some salt/seasoning
- Fry briefly
- Add rice, stirring to coat in the oil
- then add the passatta, stock and herbs
- Bring to the boil
- Give it stir, cover tightly and bake for 30min in a heated oven (180C)