I still had some blueberries left over in the freezer from Sarah (as I had only used half of the bag for the Banana & Blueberry Muffins) and since I am in *spring clean/moving* mode… I am on a mission to use up items that are in my freezer, fridge or store cupboard.
in terms of the word *spring clean* – I would like to state that the promise of spring is late… and I am now becoming concerned that if it doesn’t arrive – we will head straight back in into autumn without a word from Summer…. *sigh*…. anybody else also feel like that?
Back to discussing this recipe – after making the afore-mentioned muffins (which HIM really enjoyed)… I found this recipe in the latest Delicious Magazine (June 2013 issue) and knew that it was something that I wanted to try out.
Three points to mention
- I had one ripe banana that was sitting in the fridge begging to be used rather than tossed away… so I added it to the mixture before baking. This made the cake very moist but also added the little black flecks that are so very visible in Banana bread baking (not a bad thing)
- the blueberries sank to the bottom of the bake – not sure if this is because they were frozen berries or ? (for the record – this did not happen with the muffins that I made and those were also frozen berries). – if you know why this happened – please drop me a note and let me know!
- I did not make the icing for the cake as I am not a big fan of icing but if you are interested – mix 6-8 tablespoons lemon juice with 200g icing sugar and drizzle over the sponge and leave to set for 1hr
Blueberry, (banana) and lemon squares
250g self raising flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
225g caster sugar
4 large eggs
225g butter, softened
3 Tablespoons milk
grated zest of 3 lemons, plus a squirt of juice
(1 mashed banana – my own addition)
- Place dry ingredients into a large bowl and make a well in the middle
- Add eggs, butter, milk and lemon zest
- Beat with electric hand mixer until smooth and combined
- Stir in banana and blueberries (plus a squirt of lemon juice)
- Pour batter into a greased traybake tin
- Bake for 40-50minutes at 170C
- (makes 24 squares)