I had all good intentions to make Nigella’s Pumpkin and Goats cheese lasagna from her Christmas cookbook… but as I stumbled around the local grocery store the night before the Murder Mystery Bookalokal dinner, trying to source all relevant ingredients… I could not find ANY pumpkin!!
So I used the basis of the original recipe to “create” something similar but rather using courgettes instead of pumpkin… and you know what… it worked out perfectly (or it did at least in my opinion :))
As the theme of the Bookalokal Murder Mystery dinner was *Pasta, Passion and Pistols* – I popped down to my favourite South African wine shop, Paradisi (just outside of Ghent – only a 40minute drive from Brussels), the previous weekend to stock up some yummy wines to serve… namely and very appropriate for an Italian themed Murder dinner – the Goatfather Red wine, from the *Goats do Roam* portfolio created on the Fairview wine farm!
Chevre and Courgette Lasagna
450g soft chevre (goats cheese)
3 garlic cloves, crushed
300g fresh lasagna sheets
2 balls of mozzarella
- Mix the soft chevre with the ricotta in a clean bowl
- grate the courgettes, sprinkle with salt and leave to drain for at least 30-40minutes (I left to drain overnight while lightly covering the colander and bowl with a dish towel)
- To make the tomato sauce – place passatta, garlic cloves and olive oil in a pan and bring to a gentle boil, stirring regularly. Add herbs, salt and a teaspoon of sugar.
- Using a clean dish towel – place the grated courgette inside and squeeze to remove any further liquid
- Mix courgettes into cheese mixture
- Layer lasagna sheet, courgette cheese mixture, lasagna sheet, courgette cheese mixture – until all has been used
- Top with the Tomato sauce and layer the sliced Mozzarella on top
- Bake at 180C for 45-60minutes, and then stand for 15minutes to allow slicing and serving to be easier