This is the easiest way to hide your greens…. not that I don’t like my greens, but sometimes, just sometimes, you want to be a kid and just eat your meat and potatoes… (but we all know that there isn’t any pudding if you haven’t eaten your greens!)
This isn’t complicated or convoluted… but it is pretty tasty and the honest truth is that a home-made bechamel (aka white) sauce wins hands down over a packet bought sauce any day of the week!
1 head of broccoli
handful of parmesan cheese
- Place the whole head of broccoli in a pot filled with water, and boil until el dente tender
- remove from the pot and water and cut the florets off and place in an ovenproof dish
- to make the bechamel sauce, start by melting the butter in a pot
- when melted, add the flour and mix with a whisk or a wooden smooth to make a paste
- then add 200ml of milk and whisk until smooth
- Add another 200ml of milk and whisk again
- Reduce heat to medium and continuously whisk while the sauce thickens
- Add the remaining milk and continue to whisk over a medium heat until sauce is the consistency that you desire.
- Pour over the broccoli in the dish
- top with parmesan
- Bake for 20-25minutes at 180c