Walking through the enormous Carrefour Planet the previous Saturday – had me standing in an aisle looking at an array of cook-in sauces and spices (in the International food section) and I managed to start drooling (SERIOUSLY)….
And I know that they say that you should never go grocery shopping on an empty stomach… and I didn’t!! But the sounds of a spicy Thai Tom Yam soup on a cold and snowy day… had me salivating hectic-ly!
deSIAM is a brand specialising in providing authentic curry pastes, spices and sauces all the way from Thailand. Started in 2008 by 3 friends – it now supplies products across 26 countries!! (Plus they have an online store in the EU… hurray!)
This served HIM and I for lunch in what I would call 2 healthy soup bowls… and there was enough for my lunch the following day!
Thai Tom Yam Soup
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
piece of fresh ginger, peels and finely chopped
1 chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
10 peeled prawns
1 shallot, finely sliced
1 deSIAM Tom Yam Soup paste (made by pounding tamarind and red chillies)
80g mushrooms, sliced
1 teaspoon fish sauce
dash of lemon juice
500ml chicken stock
- quickly fry the shallots and garlic in a drop of oil
- Add the chicken stock, ginger, chill and mushrooms and simmer
- when mushrooms are soft, add the paste and fish sauce
- If the prawns are uncooked, best to add them now and leave to cook until firm, if they are uncooked, let the soup simmer for another 5-10minutes
- Add the cooked prawns and a dash of lemon juice and SERVE!