Marvellously moist and surprisingly more-ish, this tray bake cake is the perfect *take to the office* or *bring to the braai* kind of right-side-up upside down cake!
What is slowly turning into a weekly tradition in the office, is that I will bake a cake and in order to save the waistline of my jeans – which I have to admit have shrunk in the wash… I am now taking in my weekly bake to the office! It has come to the point that some of the younger (lets call them trainee’s) are now popping their heads in on a Monday and Tuesday in order to find out which day I will be providing cake and what I am thinking of making.
And you know what makes it even more fulfilling? They devour whatever I bring in, with big crumbly grins and honest-to-God gratefulness of receiving free cake once a week! So I just can’t stop! Plus the feeling of being a hero in my own lunchbox is rewarding!
The previous week, HIM’s friends had given me a bag of fresh blackberries out of her very own garden… they were juicy and delicious and to stop myself from squishing every last one of them into my mouth while driving home – I had the brain wave to freeze them for a few days and then find a recipe in order to bake with them! And of course – I found the recipe on the BBC Good Food Website.
Blackberry and Apple Tray Cake
3 apples, peeled, cored and sliced
squeeze lemon juice
- Toss the sliced apples with a little lemon juice to stop them from turning brown
- Bring cream and butter to the boil in a saucepan, then set aside
- Whisk sugar with eggs for 3minutes until pale
- Whisk cream into sugar mixture and fold in flour until completely smooth
- Pour batter into greased baking pan (aka roasting tin is fine) and arrange apple and blackberries on top (I like to push a few blackberries into the mixture as well)
- Bake for 50min-1hr at 200C until golden and beginning to pull away from sides of tin