When my beautiful Capetonian friend Shellzie got married in Jan 2011 – and she graciously asked me to be one of her bridesmaids, Kir (my other bestie and Shells bridesmaid) and I decided to put together a Recipe book for her as one of her Kitchen Tea gifts!
We asked each lady in her circle (friends and family alike) to provide their favourite recipe, a photograph and a little message or story – and with this – we created a beautiful coffee-table cookbook made of recipes that meant something to each and every friend and was presented with love for Shells to enjoy in her married life!
Having said this – the recipe that I submitted was my Chicken, Leek and mushroom pie… which I have adapted due to the items in my fridge 🙂 and have landed up creating my very own version of a Chicken Pot Pie!
Chicken Pot Pie
2 leeks, cut into 1cm rounds
4 carrots, peeled and cut into pieces
300ml chicken stock
150ml single cream
750g cooked chicken, shredded
350g readymade puff pastry
- Melt butter in a saucepan
- Add carrots and leeks and cook for 5mins, stirring occasionally
- Add flour and cook & stir for a further 1-2 minutes to make a paste
- Stir in stock and cream
- Bring to the boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15min
- Remove from the heat and add chicken
- Season and add fresh herbs
- Place into oven proof dishes
- Roll out pastry and cut appropriate sized Pastry lids for your dishes
- Add pastry lid, brush with egg yolk (if you wish)
- Bake in the oven for 25min @ 220C, then turn down the heat to 200c and cook for a further 15minutes