Another favourite of mine – directly out of the Snowflake book of baking (that I have mentioned before) is a whole section on the easy baking items for Children (now, don’t judge me… but my logic is, if a kid can get it right… then I can’t get it wrong… right????)
And looking back… I am pretty damn sure that Mommabear used to make these…
They really are easy.. and tasty and HIM confessed to devouring 4 on his way home the other night… and as far as I am concerned… if he digs them, then they were a success!! I used home-made marmalade jam made by a friend… so they were not so sweet… and HIM agrees that a nice thick, rich and sweet home-made jam (plum, apricot, etc) would make them even more delicious (if that is at all possible :)).
What I didn’t give to HIM, I took into the office… and I swear that a swarm of locusts appeared and scoffed down every crumb!!
Jam Slice Biscuits
5ml vanilla essence
2 teaspoons baking powder
125ml jam (160g)
- Beat butter and sugar together
- Add egg and vanilla essence and continue to beat
- Sift in dry ingredients and knead
- Press half the dough into a 20x24cm greased (or baking parchment at the bottom) pan
- Spread over the jam
- Grate the rest of the dough over the top
- bake at 180C for 20minutes
- Cut into squares (makes 20)