This is absolutely ridiculous! this is the THIRD time that this nasty flu has raised its head and bit me on my
arse chest! (In all fairness, I have probably not recovered 100% and hence why it keeps coming back)… but this is all over the time frame of 2months!
Post nasal drip… leading to a cough… makes me tired and achy, not to mention grumpy… blah blah blah… enough already! I now need to kick this little invader out, once and for all… and what better way than with food??
Gloriously comforting COMFORT food… so as I pour myself a glass of freshly squeezed orange juice (not squeezed by me, but the corner Mom ‘n Pop store owner guaranteed me that it was squeezed a few short hours ago)… I consider my options..
Super Foods that boost your immune system include:
- foods high in Vitamin C : oranges, guava (which Í rarely find in Brussels), sweet red and green peppers, Kiwi, grapefruit, strawberries, brussel sprouts (yuck), cantaloupe (otherwise known as spanspek to my fellow SAFFA’s)
- foods with superpowers (aka loaded with antioxidants and vitamins): Walnuts (containing alpha-linolenic acid); salmon (omega-3-rich); pumpkin (beta-carotene, alpha-carotene AND lutein); Yoghurt (calcium); Berries (immune-boosting antioxidants); kidney beans (antioxidants); broccoli (cholesterol fighting); oats (minerals & B vitamins)
- or foods that make you feel better (the true blue *comfort* food sector?). There are also multiple articles that can be found on Dr Google relating to *chicken noodle soups* and *herbal tea’s* and their benefits of being able to fight the symptoms of a cold.
I also placed the question out to all my friends on facebook on what they considered as their *feel better* comfort food when they had a cold… and their responses ranged from chinese food (my mother :)) ; mac & cheese (both M and I said this one… without consulting each other :)); whiskey (with or without water); potato gratin (I made this last week); chickpea soup and ginger tea; chicken soup; pudding or tea with lemon, honey and fresh ginger!
So what did I decide to make myself?? Homemade pizza! Having seen the recipe in the April 2012 issue of Good Food magazine and the fact that it required ZERO proofing time was good enough for me! I had some mushrooms in the fridge – so decided to add them!
Simple Margherita/Funghi Pizza
7g packet dried yeast
1 teaspoon sugar
pinch of salt
125ml warm water
100g cheddar cheese (my own addition)
Basil (if you want – unfortunately, Í didn’t have any)
- Mix yeast, sugar, salt and warm water and wait 5minutes for mixture to increase in size.
- Add to flour and mix
- knead until smooth and press into oiled tray
- Spread the passata over the dough
What is your *feel better* comfort food when you are feeling the symptoms of a cold of flu??