Sunday night blues? Monday blues? It’s not friday yet blues? Or just all round, feeling a little down??
Well this is one of those recipes where a bowl full seems to warm the tummy, heal the heart and all around banish those blues. I am not sure if it has to do with the heat of the chilli’s or if it is one of the all time favourite comfort food meals… but it works! And of course – it isn’t a bad recipe to have on standby in terms of feeding a crowd! Plus – I find that if I make a pot, it equals loads of containers for the fridge and freezer… so it also eliminates the *whats for lunch/dinner?* conundrum.
CHILLI CON CARNE
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
2 teaspoon chilli flakes
1 teaspoon paprika
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves – crushed
2 red chillies, chopped
500g mince (i use a combination of pork/beef – but nothing stops you from using chicken)
tin of tomato paste
425g tin of red kidney beans (I like to use the variant that is already in chilli sauce)
1 green pepper – diced
200g tin of sweetcorn
250ml stock (I prefer to use chicken stock)
1teaspoon brown sugar
- Heat frying pan over a medium heat
- Add cumin, allspice, chilli flakes and paprika and *dry fry* for about a minute to release the flavours
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add the onion and spices and cook for 2-3minutes
- Add garlic and chilli and cook for a further minute
- Add mince and cook on a high heat for 4-5minutes until the meat has browned
- Add the tomato paste, passata, beans, green pepper, sweetcorn, sugar and stock
- Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally until the sauce has reduced and thickened.
Served with rice is normally my preference… but if corn bread is your thing… go right ahead!