Nope… Not kidding!
And the menu was so tasty that I had to go back a second time… just so that I could explore the other taste explosion options!
Where you ask?
Well – during December 2011 (and more importantly during one of the annual *girls* getaways with my 2 besties (who I have been friends with over 16years!))… stumbled across a fabulous SPA on the Clos Malverne wine farm on the Devon Valley Road in Stellenbosch, Cape Town.
Now I have to digress away from food and tell you that this treatment package if BRILLIANT… The 3 of us were able to have all our treatments in the same room (which also had an enormous shower, steam room and bath)… so 4hr worth of *Tranquility* for R1250 per person and included
- Standard spa facial
- Full spa manicure
- Full spa pedicure
- Full body massage
AND BEST OF ALL.. .a free bottle of the Clos Malverne Sauvignon Blanc (each)!!!
This wine has awards and accolades (including the 2011 Top 10 FNB Sauvignon Blanc top 10 Award) … and deserved every single one of them by being full, dry and balanced! “It has tropical fruit, flintiness and hints of asparagus and figs on the nose that all follow through to the palate. Drink now to really appreciate the fruitiness. ” says the website… so true, so true….
But the absolute winner of the day is their restaurant with views that leave you breathless!
As you are seated – you are *treated* to a complimentary glass of the Clos Malverne Sauvignon Blanc Brut… while you drool over the menu.
The 4 course tasting menu is R178 (excl a tip) and although the portions are on the smaller side – they are not unreasonable… and you do feel full after the entire meal… (honestly – there was no request to stop at McDonalds or Steers on the way home)
The Menu is as follows (but keep in mind that it changes based on seasons and availability)
- Chilli and lime marinated prawns on a salad of vermicelli noodles, mango, coconut and sesame seeds – served with Clos Malverne Sauvignon Blanc
- Norwegian salmon gravlax with watercress, avocado and a garlic aioli – served with Clos Malverne Sauvignon Blanc
- Duck liver pate – I had this the first time I was there and it was served with 2 slices of melba toast and a drizzle of balsamic vinaigrette …
- Slow roasted pork belly on a salad of orange, watercress and crispy sweet potato, with a star-aniseed and orange glaze – served with Clos Malrverne Cab/Merlot
- Saldanha Bay Mussels in a creamy thai green curry sauce with marinated capsicums and fresh coriander – served with Clos Malverne Chardonnay
- Beetroot, goats cheese and rocket salad with sunflower seeds, honey glazed beetroot and a balsamic vinaigrette – served with Clos Malveren Cab/Merlot
- Grilled rump steak with seasonal vegetables, potato wedges and a brand pepper sauce – served with Clos Malverne Auret
- Grilled fillet steak (extra charge of R12) with seasonal vegetables, potato wedges and a brandy pepper sauce – served with Clos Malverne Auret
- Gorgonzola stuffed chicken breast served with creamy pecorino mashed potatoes, seasonal vegetables, a shiitake mushroom sauce and crispy black forest ham – served with Clos Malverne Auret
- Fresh Line fish of the day served with seasonal vegetables, garlic butter baby potatoes and salsa verde – served with Clos Malverne Sauvignon Blanc
- Chocolate Fondant with white chocolate centre and a strawberry and white chocolate ice-cream – served with Clos Malverne Pinotage Reserve
- Vanilla pod Creme Caramel with raspberry compote – served with Clos Malverne Le Cafe Pinotage
- Caramel and mango fridge cheesecake with crunchy honey comb – served with Clos Malverne Le Cafe Pinotage
they don’t split bills and 10% service charge is automatically added to tables of 6 or more.
I went back with family a week after my first visit and can honestly say that it was one of my favourite holiday memories!! AND I plan to go back AGAIN in May when I am back in the Western Cape… because I look forward to trying their winter tasting menu… YUMMY!!
I might even try to get a few spa treatments before as well… hmmm
restaurant hours: 12-15h00 Tuesday to Sunday closed in the evenings